Healthy Living Fun Day in Roehampton
Health checks, Wii Fit and mini massages are among a host of activities on offer as part of a Healthy Living Fun Day in Roehampton.
Wandsworth residents are invited to pop along to the free event, from 10am-4pm on Saturday 20 February, at Cornerstone Hall, Alton Road (off Roehampton Lane), where they can access a range of health checks, have a free mini massage, try out the Wii Fit and have the chance to win a tasty organic fruit and vegetable box.
The following workshops are also taking place:
- Eating for a healthy heart (10.30 and 11.30am)
Practical advice on getting the right balance of foods, portion size and other tips to keep you in good health
- Easy ways to keep moving (12.30 and 1.30pm)
Simple ways to fit physical activity into everyday life (advice session, so no trainers required!)
- Managing stress (2.30 and 3.30pm)
Helpful tips for dealing with the stresses of everyday life.
Workshops are held on a first come, first served basis, so visitors are encouraged to arrive early so they don’t miss out.
The event is being organised by NHS Wandsworth, in partnership with UK charity the Blood Pressure Association which is offering free NHS Health Checks to those eligible throughout the day.
The checks, which include blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference testing, are for Wandsworth residents aged 40-74, not previously diagnosed with high blood pressure, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, heart disease, or suffered a heart attack or stroke.
There will be separate BMI checks and lifestyle assessments for anyone not eligible for an NHS Health Check. Visitors can also get advice on child nutrition, local support services and tips on how to give up smoking
Houda Al-Sharifi, Director of Public Health for NHS Wandsworth, said: “The aim of our Healthy Living Fun Day is to help everyone take steps to improve their health and have fun at the same time. There is something for everyone so we hope that lots of local residents will come along and enjoy the event.
“If you can’t come along on the day, and are aged 40-74, don’t forget that you can also get a free NHS Health Check from your GP.”
Notes to editors:
- For further information or to arrange interviews or photography please contact the BPA's Press Office on 020 8772 4993/4984.
- The Blood Pressure Association is the UK’s blood pressure charity which aims to lower the nation’s blood pressure. The award-winning charity provides information and support for people with high blood pressure and raises awareness about its prevention. For more details visit www.bpassoc.org.uk or call 020 8722 4994.
For further information from NHS Wandsworth, please contact Maria Vidal, Communications Manager on 020 8812 7609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org