Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Join our salt campaign today!
Please sign our petition to:
- Get the government to set new salt reduction targets beyond 2012.
- Ask supermarkets to stock more 'salt trace'/ 'no salt' products.
Why we need you to sign our petition
- Britons currently consume an average of 8.6 grams of salt a day, which means we eat over 3kg of salt a year!
- NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) recommends the maximum amount of salt people should eat each day is 6 grams.
- 14,000-20,000 lives a year could be saved by making this reduction.
- 75% of the salt we eat is already in the foods we buy.
- We are asking supermarkets to introduce 'salt trace'/ 'no salt' products to their 'free from' range.
- This will compliment the work they have done in reducing the salt content in their own label products.
Government salt targets
- Current government salt reduction targets are due to end in 2012.
- The government has so far not indicated it is going to set new salt reduction targets beyond 2012.
- NICE calls for a maximum daily salt intake for each adult of 6 grams by 2015 and 3 grams by 2025.
Our mouth watering low salt recipes include: