Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Here are just some of the reasons why every adult in the UK needs to 'know their numbers':
- 1 in 3 adults in the UK (16 million) has high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure is the biggest known cause of premature death and disability in the UK due to the strokes, heart attacks and heart disease it causes. It is also a risk factor for kidney disease and dementia.
- More than 5 million people don't know they have high blood pressure - that's why it's called the silent killer.
- People with high blood pressure are 3 times more likely to develop heart disease and stroke and twice as likely to die from these as people with a normal blood pressure.
- Each year 125,000 adults in the UK have a heart attack or stroke in which high blood pressure is a key factor - that's a preventable stroke or heart attack every 4 minutes.
- High risk groups include the over 55s, people of African Caribbean descent, and people of South Asian origin who are more prone to other vascular conditions.