Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Superdrug joins Know your Numbers! Week
Superdrug stores will be providing free blood pressure checks from 8-14 September as part of the Blood Pressure Association’s Know your Numbers! Week.
A total of 74 participating Superdrug stores, which include pharmacies and nurse-led clinics, will be urging local residents to have their blood pressure checked to see if they are at risk of high blood pressure.
The company is among 3,000 Pressure Stations taking part in the campaign to reach the estimated five million adults in the UK who have high blood pressure but don't know it because the condition has no obvious symptoms.
There are 16 million adults in the UK with high blood pressure, when uncontrolled this can cause strokes, heart attack and heart failure, and can also lead to kidney disease and dementia. However, once detected, the condition can be successfully treated.
Martin Crisp, Superdrug’s Superintendent pharmacist said: "We are delighted to be supporting this campaign and play our part in raising awareness of the dangers of high blood pressure.
"High blood pressure is a serious condition but it can be successfully controlled. This first step is to have a check, and we’re hoping all our customers will take advantage of the chance to have a quick check-up during the week."
Mike Rich, Executive Director of the Blood Pressure Association, said: "To raise awareness during this year’s campaign we are asking ‘Are you at risk from the ticking time bomb?’ Uncontrolled high blood pressure is like a hidden time bomb which can cause stroke, heart attack and heart failure."
Superdrug is the only high street retailer with its own team of nurses offering health checks including healthy heart, mole clinics, weight management and allergy testing.
To find your nearest Pressure Station offering free blood pressure checks during Know your Numbers! Week 2008, visit www.bpassoc.org.uk/kyn or call the BPA on 020 8772 4994.
Notes to Editors:
- The Blood Pressure Association is the UK’s leading blood pressure charity working to lower the nation’s blood pressure. The charity provides information and support for people with high blood pressure and raises awareness to prevent the condition. The charity recently won the healthcare category of The Charity Awards 2008 for its work on the Know your Numbers! campaign. For more information visit the charity’s main website at www.bpassoc.org.uk, call head office on 020 8772 4994 or contact our information line on 0845 241 0989.
- To find out more about the campaign, or for a free blood pressure information pack, visit the Know your Numbers! website at www.bpassoc.org.uk/kyn or call 020 8772 4994. If you have a question about high blood pressure and would like to speak to someone over the phone, call the Blood Pressure Association’s Information Line on 0845 241 0989 (11am-3pm, Mon-Fri).
- For more information on Know your Numbers! Week or on high blood pressure, contact the Blood Pressure Association’s Press Office on 020 8772 4993/4984, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For further information on Superdrug's particpation in KYN Week please contact Katie or Jenny Hill at ZPR on 020 7896 3404 or email email@example.com. Superdrug is the United Kingdom’s most fashion conscious beauty and health retailer with over 900 stores in the UK and Eire.
- Superdrug is one of the health & beauty retail brands from the A.S. Watson Group (ASW) family – the world’s largest health & beauty retailer and the largest perfumeries & cosmetics retailer. With a history dating back to 1828, ASW has evolved into an international retail and manufacturing business with over 7,900 stores in 36 markets worldwide. It has over 98,000 employees, serving over 25 million customers a week.