Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Mediterranean vegetable lasagne recipe
Why not try this delicious, blood pressure- and stroke-friendly recipe, shared with us by our colleagues at the British Heart Foundation. It’s low in salt and saturated fat, and contains around four portions of veg. If you serve it with a side salad you’ll have hit your 5-a-day in one meal!
Mediterranean Vegetable lasagne
1 red onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into strips
2 courgettes, sliced
225g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp homemade vegetable stock
3 1/2 tbsp cornflour
600ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk
100g (3 1/2oz) reduced-fat mature Cheddar-style cheese, finely grated
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
4-6 sheets dried no-pre-cook lasagne (about 115-175g/4-6oz)
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC/fan 170ºC/gas mark 5. Place the onion, garlic, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, tomatoes and stock in a non-stick saucepan and stir to mix. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are beginning to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. In a small bowl, mix cornflour with a little of the milk until smooth. Pour the remaining milk into a non-stick saucepan; stir in the cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until thickened and smooth. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Remove pan from heat; stir in 75g (2 3/4oz) of the cheese and black pepper to taste.
- Stir dried herbs into vegetable mixture; season with black pepper.
- Assemble lasagne. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture over base of a shallow ovenproof dish or roasting tin; cover this with half of the lasagne sheets (in a single layer). Spoon over a little of the cheese sauce (just enough to thinly cover pasta). Repeat the layers of vegetable mixture and lasagne; pour over remaining cheese sauce to cover lasagne completely. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until browned on top and bubbling.
If you have any blood-pressure friendly recipes to share with us please email