Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Know your Numbers with free blood pressure checks at Beacon Bingo
Great Yarmouth and Waveney residents can make the most of free blood pressure checks at a host of popular community locations, including Beacon Bingo in Lowestoft, during this year's Know your Numbers! Week.
Know your Numbers! Week, which runs 13-19 September, is the nation's biggest blood pressure testing event, organised by UK charity the Blood Pressure Association (BPA). Beacon Bingo is among 1,400 'Pressure Stations' taking part in this year's event across the UK.
The free checks are being delivered by health trainers from Community Connections, a local community organisation which provides a range of services across Great Yarmouth and Waveney, including lifestyle support and advice across a number of health issues, and they will also be setting up station at a number of local libraries.
While Lowestoft's bingo-goers will be keeping a close eye on their numbers as they hope for house, this week the BPA is asking 'Are you gambling with your health?' because three quarters of adults don’t know their blood pressure numbers and so are taking an unnecessary gamble with their health.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure causes stroke and heart attack, and it's a symptomless condition, so the only way to find out if you have it is to have regular blood pressure checks. However, once detected, it can be very successfully managed.
Steven Garrod, Community Health Trainer at Community Connections, said: "We're delighted that Rob Black, Manager at Beacon Bingo in Lowestoft, will be opening the bingo hall a couple of hours early so that everyone can stop in for a free blood pressure check and a cup of tea or coffee before it's eyes down.
"If you can’t make the bingo, then we've also got Pressure Stations at a number of local libraries and the Boots in Market Gates Shopping Centre, Great Yarmouth, so it really couldn't be easier to drop by for your free blood pressure check."
Mike Rich, Executive Director of UK charity the Blood Pressure Association, said: "We are delighted Communications Connections is bringing Know your Numbers! Week to Great Yarmouth and Waveney.
"It's fun to take a gamble playing bingo, but gambling with your blood pressure is a serious matter. I hope all local residents will take just a few minutes out of their day to have a check and lower their odds of stroke and heart attack."
There are also a number of other convenient Pressure Stations where local residents can get their free blood pressure check during the week:
- Wednesday 15 September, 10.00am-1pm
Beacon Bingo, Battery Green Road, Lowestoft
- Thursday 16 September, 9.30am-12pm
Boots (in-store consultation room), 3 Market Gates Shopping Centre, Great Yarmouth
- Thursday 16 September, 9.30am-12pm
Beccles Library, Blyburgate, Beccles
- Thursday 16 September, 1pm-4pm
Lowestoft Library, Clapham Road South, Lowestoft
- Friday 17 September,10am-1pm
Southwold Library, North Green, Southwold
- Friday 17 September,12pm-2.30pm
Bungay Library, Wharton Street, Bungay
If you have a question about high blood pressure, call the Blood Pressure Association's Information Line on 0845 241 0989 (Mon-Fri, 11am-3pm).
Notes to Editors:
- For more information on Know your Numbers! Week, or for facts, figures, quotes and photos, contact Anna in the Blood Pressure Association's Press Office on 020 8772 4993/4984, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- To arrange for your reporter to have their blood pressure checked, or for a photo or interview, please contact Steven Garrod on 07795 014 855 or at email@example.com
- The Blood Pressure Association is the UK's leading blood pressure charity working to lower the nation's blood pressure. The charity provides information and support for people with high blood pressure and raises awareness to prevent the condition. For more information visit the charity's main website http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/kyn or call 020 8772 4994.