Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
NHS Bristol deliver free blood pressure checks during Know your Numbers!
Bristol residents can make the most of free blood pressure checks when NHS Bristol brings Know your Numbers! Week to a number of convenient community locations, from 13-19 September.
Know your Numbers! Week is the nation's biggest blood pressure testing event, run by UK charity the Blood Pressure Association (BPA), and this year 1,400 'Pressure Stations' are taking part across the UK.
During the week the BPA is asking local residents 'Are you gambling with your health?' because three quarters of adults don't know their blood pressure numbers and so are taking an unnecessary gamble with their health.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure causes stroke and heart attack, and it's a symptomless condition, so the only way to find out if you have it is to have regular blood pressure checks. However, once detected, it can be very successfully managed.
All Bristol residents are welcome to drop by for their free blood pressure check during the week, but NHS Bristol is particularly targeting at risk groups in the inner city population, with Pressure Stations including the Somali Resource Centre in Barton Hill, Easton Community Centre, and the Pakistani Welfare Organisation and Sikh Resource Centre in Easton.
Mohammed Elsharif, Health Improvement Manager for Inner Centre, NHS Bristol, said: "We'll be taking free blood pressure checks into popular community venues to raise awareness of high blood pressure as an important health issue, particularly among at risk groups including residents who are of African Caribbean or South Asian origin.
"As well as the blood pressure checks, our health trainers will also be providing guidance on healthy lifestyles, including dietary and exercise advice, and directing people to other health check services if required."
Mike Rich, Executive Director of UK charity the Blood Pressure Association, said: "It's particularly vital that anyone of African Caribbean or South Asian descent stays blood pressure aware because of increased risk of health problems such as stroke.
"However, one in three UK adults have high blood pressure, so we hope everyone will get their free blood pressure check during this year's Know your Numbers! Week, and lower their odds of stroke and heart attack."
You can get your free blood pressure check at the following locations:
- Somali Resource Centre 43 Ducie Road, Barton Hill
Monday 13 September, 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm
Tuesday 14 September, 2pm-5pm
Wednesday 15 September, 9am-12pm
Thursday 16 September, 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm
Friday 17 September, 11am-1pm and 2pm-4pm
- Easton Community Centre, Kilburn Street, Easton
Monday 13 September, 10am-3pm
Wednesday 15 September, 10am-1pm
- Pakistani Welfare Organisation, 454 Stapleton Road, Easton
Monday 13 September, 10am-2pm
Friday 17 September, 10am-2pm
- Sikh Resource Centre, 114 St Marks Road, Easton
Wednesday 15 September, 10am-1pm
Other 'Pressure Stations' in Bristol include (search at www.bpassoc.org.uk/kyn for pharmacy opening hours):
- Jhoots Pharmacy, 3 Gainsborough Square, Lockleaze, Bristol, BS7 9XA
- Easton Pharmacy, 116 Stapleton Road, Easton, Bristol, BS5 0PS
- Day Lewis, 13 Gloucester Road North, Filton Park, Bristol, BS7 0SG
- North View Pharmacy Ltd, 29 North View, Westbury Park, Bristol, BS6 7PT
- Asda Pharmacy, East Street, Bristol, BS3 4JY
- Jhoots Pharmacy, 7 Druids Hill, Stoke Bishop, Bristol, BS9 1EW
- Asda Pharmacy, Craven Way, Longwell Green, Bristol, BS30 7DY
- Asda Pharmacy, Highwood Lane, Patchway, Bristol, BS34 5TL
- Kathleen James Pharmacy Ltd, 3A-4A St Peters Rise, Bishopsworth, Bristol, BS13 7LU
- Day Lewis, 3 Broad Street, Congresbury, Bristol, BS49 5DG
- Day Lewis, 497 Bath Road, Saltford, Bristol, BS31 3HQ
To find out more about the campaign visit the Know your Numbers! website at www.bpassoc.org.uk/kyn
If you have a question about high blood pressure, call the Blood Pressure Association's Information Line on 0845 241 0989 (Mon-Fri, 11am-3pm).
Notes to Editors:
- For more information on Know your Numbers! Week, or for facts, figures, quotes and photos, contact Anna in the Blood Pressure Association’s Press Office on 020 8772 4993/4984, or email email@example.com
- The Blood Pressure Association is the UK’s leading blood pressure charity working to lower the nation’s blood pressure. The charity provides information and support for people with high blood pressure and raises awareness to prevent the condition. For more information visit the charity’s main website at www.bpassoc.org.uk, or call 020 8772 4994.