Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
You don’t have to join the gym to become more active. If the idea of ‘doing exercises’ isn’t for you, why not try being more active in your day-to-day life?
In general our lives are much less active than they used to be. More of us have desk jobs, we use cars and public transport to get around, and we have lots of labour-saving devices in our homes. To start being more active, try some of the following simple steps:
- Walk more each day, and don’t use the car for short journeys.
- Take the stairs instead of a lift or escalator.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier.
- Cycle or walk to work.
- Take the dog out on longer walks.
- Take a walk during your lunch hour.
- Think about activities you used to enjoy, and see if you can take part in them at a local centre.